Washing a cashmere scarf is necessarily similar to washing our clothes in daily life, but cashmere is a kind of precious textile material with low content and the cashmere scarf is usually expensive, so you need to take special ways to wash a cashmere scarf.
In this article, we will talk about two ways to wash a cashmere scarf.
Wash a cashmere scarf by hand
Hand washing is the best way to wash a scarf at home. It is helpful for preventing cashmere from pilling. Please also remember that do not mix with other clothes to wash together in order to avoid staining.
Below are steps for washing a cashmere scarf by hand.
Fill a large bowl with warm water and soak the scarf for 5 to 10 minutes before washing and gently squeezes in the water with both hands while soaking. The water temperature will be 35℃ normally. The purpose of soaking and squeezing is to get the grime attached to the inner part of the cashmere out of the fiber, and the other part of the dirt wetting loses.
Drop some shampoo or baby shampoo in the water and gently squeeze the water with your hands. Please do not use hot soap water, scrub, or alkaline washing powder, otherwise, there will be a shrinking rolling felt and deformation. When washing cashmere scarf by hand, you can wash them with baby shampoo. Because cashmere fiber is the protein fiber, afraid of alkaline detergent.
Put in a small splash of vinegar if you want a natural fabric softener. We used the shampoo in the washing process, in order to neutralize residual soap lye in cashmere, some drops of vinegar are needed at the moment.
Remove the stained areas using a wipe. Make sure to dab, but not rub the scarf to avoid cashmere pilling. If you don’t have a stain-removing wipe, you can put a little bit of liquid stain remover onto a paper towel.
- Gently swirl the scarf with your hands in water. Don't pull or drag because that can deform the cashmere. If you plan to wash several scarves, the lighted color one will be first.
Rinse out your scarf in a bowl of clean water. Pour out all the water from the bowl, rinse it out, and refill it with clean water. Repeat this several times until the soap is gone.
Lay the scarf on a flat surface, usually lay it on your towel. Don't put it under sunshine, just let it dry in a normal way.
Now your scarf will be clean finally.
Wash a cashmere scarf by machine
Yes, you can wash a cashmere scarf by machine too. Below are the steps you need to follow up.
- Step 1. Place your cashmere scarves in a laundry bag to prevent them from tangling.
- Step 2. Follow the instructions on the cashmere detergent bottles to find out how much detergent is needed for the cashmere scarf in your washing machine.
- Step 3. Drop some detergent into the washing machine.
- Step 4. Set a short washing time and press start. The washing machine will not damage the integrity of the fiber, but too much stirring can cause pilling.
- Step 5. Lay your cashmere scarf flat to air dry. Never use a dryer.
Can you dry clean a cashmere scarf？
Yes, you can. If you are busy and have no time to wash it by yourself. You can go to the dry cleaner to wash it. Cashmere scarves are easy to shrink, so be sure to tell the dry cleaner guys to treat it carefully.
Following these tips and suggestions, you can wash your scarf in a safe way and keep them stay longer time in your life.